Building projects with xaml files

Dec 6, 2008 at 4:09 AM
Shane,

I'm hoping this is the right place to be asking questions what with the big move and all.

The question is, does NMaven currently, on any branch, support .Net 3.0 or above?  In particular does it support building projects with xaml files?  If it doesn't, I'm assuming (read hoping) that it's a planned feature?  I've been trying to figure out how to go about building a WPF project including xaml files via command line sans MSBuild without much luck.  Some way or another, MSBuild generates .g.cs files from the xaml files, however, there doesn't appear to be a CLI tool (xamlc?) that ships with .Net to accomplish this process.  Is there a current plan for how to do this?

I guess this question also applies to Byldan (if it's true that you plan to continue development on that).

Thanks,
Dusty
Coordinator
Dec 6, 2008 at 6:09 AM
Hi Dusty,

NMaven currently only supports 2.0, but 3.0 is pretty high on the list. Support for XAML will be a bit trickier. The PresentationBuildTasks assembly has an API that we can use to compile XAML, but we still need to build out the framework for executing Maven plugins written in .NET. The plan here is to write plugins, like one for XAML that would use the PresentationBuildTask assembly, and then to be able to execute the plugin using either NMaven or Byldan. The plugin framework is more in the range of months, so it will be a while before you see XAML compile support.

Regards,
Shane

Dec 6, 2008 at 4:52 PM
Thanks Shane,

Your proposed solution is pretty much the same conclusion that I came to after the post I made.  Hopefully getting the PresentationBuildTask assembly to function outside of MSBuild wont be too much of a pain.  I think that's the direction I'm going to go for now with my personal build framework until NMaven or Byldan can support 3.0.  If I come across anything useful, I'll try to contribute. :)

Thanks for the quick reply,
Dusty